I’m busy;

but not in the way
most people accept.
I’m busy calming my fear
and finding my courage.
I’m busy listening to my kids.
I’m busy getting in touch
with what is real.
I’m busy growing things and
connecting with the natural world.
I’m busy questioning my answers.
I’m busy being present in my life.
By Brooke Hampton

    A busy life is an unproblematic one. A busy life is a simple one. A busy life is a smart one. This poem, by Brooke Hampton, stood out to me significantly just because of the word busy. Busy, busy, busy. I have reflected on being busy numerous times, and its always a convo with my friends talking about what I did through out my day. Playing pickle ball, eating at chipotle, doing calc. People have this weird mis-input on being busy. The word demoralizes them because they now have an excuse for staying away from laziness, yet if they weren't being busy what would they actually figure out. Being busy is the best thing that could be happening to any of your right now, because you would fall apart without it.  
Cartoon Cogs And Gears Stock Vector | Royalty-Free | FreeImages
    Hampton encapsulates is her own unique busy life, it's not like a cry for help, instead it's like a don't F with me because I have my stuff figured out in my own way. The constant context after saying she is busy gives us an idea of how her life is run: her problems, her success, and her growth; however, it always comes back to being busy and I think I know why. This is more of a poem for the reader than telling us about herself. She is encouraging staying busy with not giving up. The tone becomes encouraging from the first three lines saying "not in the way most people accept" and gives off a sense of acceptance to someone think outside the box or uniquely. Then the next two lines she becomes vulnerable, saying "fear" and "courage" together emphasizing the idea that it's important to look for yourself, instead of submitting to something your are not.
 
    Hampton's poem tells readers to find their "busy" in times where the "busy" is not really there. The layers it with finding your own "busy" that works for you. This lasagna of poem - like most poems - pushed me to move forward and continue following my schedule and always having something to do because your don't want that train full of "whatever" hitting you when you are not.
Now my attempt:


I'm picky
but you couldn't pick
that up if you tried.
I'm picky looking at my friends
gauging at their interesting eyes.
I'm picky eating my fruit.
I'm picky with my lead
to see if it can write the right line.
I'm picky worrying about the feelings
that they would let drift aside.
I'm picky seeing the wrongs.
I'm picky when the day is night.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Life As A Male Feminist